Cheese Straws 2
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- Cheese Straws
- Yield: Makes about 2 dozen
- Recipe from
- More From Southern Living
- •FREE TRIAL - Recipes & More!
- •77 Best-Loved Christmas Cookie Recipes
- •Top-Rated Holiday Appetizer Recipes
- •Heavenly Holiday Dessert Recipes
- •Giftworthy Candy
- •Top Southern Food
- •Search Southern Living Recipes
- Recipe Time
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Bake: 12 Minutes
- Cool: 30 Minutes
- 3 ingredients on sale for ZIP 78230Edit ZIP/Favorite Stores
- Send To Mobile
- ✓ Saved Recipe
- Add to Menu
- Add to Shopping List
- .1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese $
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour $
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces and softened
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half $
- 1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a food processor; pulse in 5-second intervals until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add half-and-half, and process 10 seconds or until dough forms a ball.
- 2. Turn dough out onto a well floured surface, and roll into an 8- x 10-inch rectangle (about 1/8 inch thick). Cut dough with a sharp knife into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-wide strips, dipping knife in flour after each cut to ensure clean cuts. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until ends are slightly browned. Cool on baking sheets on a wire rack 30 minutes. Break into desired lengths.
- Note: To make cheese rounds, roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness, and cut with a 1 1/2-inch round cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake and cool as directed. Freeze baked cheese straws or rounds in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic freezer bag up to 3 months. Let thaw at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.
- Baking time is 12 minutes per batch.
- Matt Lee and Ted Lee, Matt & Ted Leefrom their cookbook,The Lee Bros. Southern CookbookNorton, Southern Living
This recipe is a personal recipe added by dwanna and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cheese Straws 2 Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers