I used refrigerated pie crusts sprinkled with parmesan instead of making my own . II made the filling with home grown cherry tomatoes. It was delicious ..but you need to over fill the tarts - since they do cook down quite a bit - I baked them for only 25 min.
Cheese Straw Tomato Tartlets
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Styling: Heather Chadduck
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 25 Minutes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup ice-cold water
- 2 pt. red and yellow cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Crumbled feta or shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1. Prepare Crust: Pulse first 3 ingredients in a food processor 3 or 4 times or until combined. Add butter, and pulse 5 or 6 times or until crumbly. Stir in cheese. With processor running, gradually add 1/2 cup ice-cold water, and process until dough forms a ball and pulls away from sides of bowl, adding more water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, if necessary.
- 2. Divide dough in half; place each half on a large piece of plastic wrap. Shape each into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 2 to 24 hours.
- 3. Prepare Filling: Toss together tomatoes and next 8 ingredients; let stand 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 4. Preheat oven to 400°. Roll 1 dough disk to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 12 rounds using a 2 1/2-inch round cutter, rerolling dough as needed; press into cups of a lightly greased 12-cup miniature muffin pan. (Dough will come slightly up sides.) Repeat procedure with remaining dough disk and another muffin pan. Divide tomato mixture among cups.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 15 minutes). Sprinkle with cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This