Made one of these for dinner tonight since I was home alone, and it was easy and delicious. I added some leftover cooked asparagus and used garlic salt. It benefited from a dash of hot sauce at the table. Made some steamed yellow wax beans as a side along with the salad, and it was very satisfying.
Cheese Soufflés with Herb Salad
Gruyère cheese grows stronger, earthier, and more complex with age, offering an intensely rich profile to these light, fluffy soufflés.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
- Calories: 229
- Fat: 14.8g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 13.6g
- Carbohydrate: 10.2g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 131mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 458mg
- Calcium: 310mg
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 teaspoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ounces cave-aged Gruyere cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 large egg whites
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 4 cups mixed herbs (such as Italian parsley, mint, dill, cilantro, tarragon, chives, and basil)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. To prepare soufflés, coat each of 4 (1-cup) soufflé dishes evenly with 1/2 teaspoon butter. Sprinkle each soufflé dish with 2 teaspoons Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, tilting to coat sides and bottom.
- 3. Combine flour and the next 3 ingredients (through black pepper) in a small saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add milk and white wine, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Cook for 4 minutes or until mixture is thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add salt and Gruyère cheese; stir until cheese melts. Spoon the mixture into a large bowl, and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in egg yolks.
- 4. Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until medium peaks form (do not overbeat). Gently stir one quarter of egg whites into yolk mixture; gently fold in the remaining egg whites. Gently spoon mixture into prepared dishes. Place dishes on a baking sheet, and place in 400° oven. Immediately reduce oven temperature to 375°. Bake soufflés at 375° for 17 minutes or until puffy and golden.
- 5. To prepare salad, combine olive oil, vinegar, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add arugula and herbs; toss to coat. Serve with soufflés.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note