Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 306
- Calories from fat: 65%
- Protein: 18g
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 8.5g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 390mg
- Cholesterol: 265mg
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups (about 5 oz.) shredded gruyère cheese
- 1. Coat interior of a 10- to 11-cup soufflé dish with 1 1/2 teaspoons butter. Add parmesan cheese; tilt dish to coat.
- 2. Separate eggs; put yolks in a small bowl and all whites in a large mixer bowl. Add cream of tartar to whites.
- 3. Melt remaining butter in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir until bubbling.
- 4. Remove from heat. Whisk milk into the mixture. Add salt, pepper, cayenne, and ground nutmeg. Return to high heat and stir until mixture boils, about 2 minutes; sauce will be very thick. Set aside about 2 tablespoons gruyère cheese, then add remainder to sauce and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Dump in egg yolks and mix well.
- 5. With a mixer on high speed, beat egg whites just until they hold soft but distinct peaks. Put a big spoonful of whites into the sauce and mix well.
- 6. Scrape sauce into whites, and with a flexible spatula, fold ingredients together; the mixture can look streaky.
- 7. Scrape mixture into soufflé dish. With the tip of the spatula, draw a circle on top of the soufflé, then sprinkle with reserved gruyère cheese.
- 8. Set on the center rack of a 400° oven. Bake until browned and center jiggles slightly when dish is gently shaken (for a saucy soufflé), about 25 minutes, or for a drier soufflé, about 10 minutes more. Serve at once.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes