Prepped the peppers & shrimp in the morning, in the evening made the sauce using monterey jack & assembled just before dinner. Came together pretty fast. Stuffed peppers on a foil-lined sheet, topped them with some crumbled queso fresco and warmed in 350 oven for maybe 15min. Simple chopped salad of tomato, avocado, sweet onion, cilantro dressed with bit of lime. Appetizer was very easy corn & crab fritters from the same CL page served with a mayo/chile sauce. Pretty good.
Cheese and Shrimp-Stuffed Poblanos
Photo: Romulo Yanes; Styling: Deborah Williams
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 376
- Fat: 18.7g
- Saturated fat: 7.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 32.9g
- Carbohydrate: 20.2g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 206mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 649mg
- Calcium: 306mg
- 1 red bell pepper
- 8 poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk, divided
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Chihuahua cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place bell pepper halves, skin sides up, and whole poblanos on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 10 minutes or until blackened, turning poblanos to blacken all sides. Place peppers in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel. Finely chop bell peppers. Cut tops crosswise from poblanos; remove seeds.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle shrimp with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add shrimp to pan; cook 3 minutes or until done. Remove from pan.
- 4. Add garlic to pan; sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Sprinkle with flour and ground red pepper; cook 1 minute. Slowly add half-and-half, stirring with a whisk. Stir in 1/2 cup milk; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 2 minutes. Add cheese and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring until smooth. Place 1/3 cup cheese mixture in a large bowl; reserve remaining cheese mixture. Add bell pepper, shrimp mixture, cilantro, and juice to 1/3 cup cheese mixture in bowl; toss to coat. Stir 1/4 cup fat-free milk into reserved cheese mixture. Spoon 3 tablespoons cheese sauce onto each of 4 plates. Spoon 6 tablespoons shrimp mixture into each poblano. Place 2 stuffed poblanos and two tops on each plate.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This