Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
Yield: Makes 2 dozen
More From Coastal Living
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk, divided
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Dash of white pepper
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese, divided
- 1. Combine 1/2 cup milk, butter, and next 4 ingredients in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts. Add flour and baking powder, stirring briskly until dough pulls away from sides of pan. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat; let cool 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir eggs into dough, 1 at a time, beating vigorously until fully incorporated. Set aside 2 tablespoons cheese for tops of puffs. Stir remaining cheese into dough.
- 3. Spoon dough by level tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Brush tops of puffs with remaining 1 tablespoon milk, and sprinkle evenly with reserved 2 tablespoons cheese.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; pierce the side of each puff with the tip of a sharp knife to allow steam to escape. Serve hot or warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note