- 3 1/2 cups self-rising soft-wheat flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk*
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 500°. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl until well blended. Cut in shortening and butter with a pastry blender or a fork until crumbly; stir in cheese and chives. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet. Brush lightly with melted butter.
Bake at 500° for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
*Nonfat buttermilk may be substituted.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used White Lily Self-Rising Flour.