This is a decent recipe - but if I made it again, I'd make some modifications as this turned out surprisingly bland. Chopping the pepperoni too finely diminishes the flavor so keep it on the chunky side. I'd also suggesting using a very strong, shard cheddar cheese to punch up the taste. The previous raters suggestion of chili powder is a good one - or perhaps some smoked paprika. Overall, very good toasted in the morning with an overeasy egg perched atop!
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 165
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 3.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 8.1g
- Carbohydrate: 23.8g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 269mg
- Calcium: 78mg
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, melted
- 3 cups bread or all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped turkey pepperoni (about 3 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in butter. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 2 1/2 cups flour and next 6 ingredients (flour through garlic) to yeast mixture; stir until blended. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a small bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°) free from drafts, until doubled in size. Punch dough down; let rest 5 minutes. Roll into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Roll up rectangle tightly, starting with a short edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seams and ends to seal. Place roll, seam side down, in a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 1 hour and 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover dough. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until browned on the bottom and loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.
- Bread machine variation: Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. It is unnecessary to heat water to 100º to 110º. Follow manufacturer's instructions for placing flour, yeast, sugar, water, butter, mustard, salt, and red pepper into bread pan. Select fruit or sweet bake cycle; start bread machine. At beep for second kneading, add cheese, pepperoni, and garlic; close lid. Continue with bread machine program.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This