Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Buffy Hargett
Yield: Makes 4 servings (about 3 cups)
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice (short-grain)
- 2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup freshly shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons jarred diced pimiento, drained
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 2 thinly sliced green onions
- 1. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes. Stir in rice, and microwave at HIGH 2 minutes.
- 2. Stir in 2 3/4 cups broth and 1/4 cup wine. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. (Do not vent). Microwave at HIGH 9 minutes. Carefully swirl bowl without uncovering (to incorporate the mixture), and microwave at HIGH 8 minutes. Carefully remove and discard plastic wrap. Stir in cheese, pimiento, and 1/4 cup chicken broth, stirring 30 seconds to 1 minute or until creamy. Add 1/4 cup additional broth, 1 Tbsp. at a time, if necessary, for desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste; sprinkle with crumbled bacon and sliced green onions just before serving.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Rice Select Risotto Italian-Style Rice, an 1,100-watt microwave oven, and a 2 1/2-liter glass bowl. We found that self-sealing plastic wraps, such as GLAD Press'n Seal, do not work in this application.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine