- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
How to Make It
Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; cut in cold butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cheese.
Stir together egg and half-and-half. Gradually add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 or 4 times. Gently roll into a ball.
Pat dough into a 7" circle on an ungreased baking sheet. Cut into 6 wedges, using a sharp knife. (Do not separate wedges.)
Bake at 400° for 16 to 18 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven; brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Serve warm.