My review may only be half accurate because I replaced the tomato chutney with salsa which I had on hand. This recipe was very easy to make but it was a bit bland. I expected more of a rice pudding consistency, but it was not creamy. It was filling for breakfast and a side of fruit went nicely with it. I probably won't be trying this again.
Cheddar Rice Casserole with Tomato Chutney
If you can't find tomato chutney in your local supermarket, prepare our for a suitable version.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 338
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated fat: 6.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 14.3g
- Carbohydrate: 43.6g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 98mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 622mg
- Calcium: 355mg
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded extrasharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup tomato chutney
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Bring water and rice to a boil in a medium saucepan; cover. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Cool slightly.
- Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Combine rice, onion mixture, milk, and the next 5 ingredients (through eggs), stirring well. Spread chutney in the bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Carefully spoon rice mixture over chutney. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove casserole from refrigerator; uncover and let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch