Bake: 12 Minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening, cold
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped jalapeño pepper (about 3 jalapeños)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Sift together first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs; stir in cheese and jalapeño. Add buttermilk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix.
- 3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 3 or 4 times. Pat or roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2-inch round cutter, and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Gather dough scraps together, and repeat. Bake at 450° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note