- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 10-oz. package frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 ounces ham, chopped
- 12 ounces grated low-fat Cheddar (3 cups)
- 1 large Italian or French bread (about 1 lb.), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 10 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups half-and-half
- calories 516
- fat 27 g
- satfat 14 g
- protein 31 g
- carbohydrate 38 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 331 mg
- sodium 416 mg
How to Make It
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in spinach and 1/2 tsp. salt and heat through. Stir in ham; let cool.
Set aside 1 cup cheese, cover and refrigerate. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cover bottom with a layer of bread. Cover bread with half of spinach mixture, then half of remaining cheese. Repeat with remaining bread, spinach and cheese.
Whisk together eggs, mustard, remaining salt and half-and-half in a bowl. Pour over strata. Press down with a spatula. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
Uncover strata and bring to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle with reserved cheese and bake until set in center, 50 to 60 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes, cut into squares and serve.