Delicious. Make ahead and heat the day of. Never had grits but would make again.
Cheddar Grit Cakes with Roasted Peppers
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
Prepare the peppers up to a day ahead, then reheat them in the microwave before serving. This frees the oven so you can roast the chicken.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 grit cakes and 1/2 cup pepper mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 247
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 8.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 10.3g
- Carbohydrate: 33.1g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 457mg
- Calcium: 189mg
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeño pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded extrasharp cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray
- 3 medium red or orange bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To prepare grits, bring the milk and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in grits and jalapeño. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thick. Stir in the cheese; cook until cheese melts. Spread grits into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray; cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or until set.
- To prepare peppers, cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet, and flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel and cut into 1-inch strips. Combine peppers, oil, vinegar, coriander, and salt; toss well.
- Invert grits onto a cutting board. Cut grits into 4 (4 1/2-inch) squares. Cut each square diagonally into 2 triangles. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add triangles; cook 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve pepper mixture over grit cakes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This