Cheddar-Garlic Portabella Soufflés
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 376
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Sodium: 570mg
- Cholesterol: 271mg
- 4 portabella mushrooms (4- to 4 1/2-in. caps; 3/4 to 1 lb. total)
- About 2 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons fine dried breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1. Rinse and drain mushrooms. Trim stems off flush with caps. Trim discolored ends from stems, then finely chop stems. Set caps, cup sides up, on a 12- by 15-inch baking sheet.
- 2. Cut 4 sheets of foil, each 12 by 16 inches. Fold each sheet lengthwise in half, then in half again. Generously butter 1 side of each foil strip and dust with bread crumbs. Tightly wrap each foil strip, crumb side in, around a mushroom cap, overlapping ends; secure with metal paper clips.
- 3. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over medium heat, stir 2 tablespoons butter, garlic, and mushroom stems until stems are browned and limp, about 8 minutes. Add flour, salt, and pepper, and stir 1 minute more. Remove from heat and whisk in milk until mixture is smooth. Stir over high heat until boiling, about 1 minute.
- 4. Remove from heat, add 1 cup cheese, and stir until melted. Add chives and egg yolks, and stir to blend.
- 5. In a deep bowl with a mixer on high speed, whip egg whites until stiff, moist peaks form. Stir about 1/3 of the whites into cheese mixture, then gently fold cheese mixture into remaining whites just until blended.
- 6. Spoon mixture equally into mushroom caps. Sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese.
- 7. Bake in a 375° oven until souffles are well browned, about 30 minutes (about 25 minutes in a convection oven). Quickly remove paper clips and pull foil free, easing away with a knife tip if necessary. With a wide spatula, transfer soufflés to plates.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cheddar-Garlic Portabella Soufflés Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Main Dishes