- 3.15 ounces tapioca flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 2.6 ounces white rice flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 2.6 ounces potato starch (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Garlic Butter:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- calories 139
- fat 6 g
- satfat 3 g
- monofat 1.7 g
- polyfat 0.7 g
- protein 3 g
- carbohydrate 19 g
- fiber 0.5 g
- cholesterol 11 mg
- iron 0.3 mg
- sodium 285 mg
- calcium 158 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 425°.
To prepare biscuits, weigh or lightly spoon flours and potato starch into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, potato starch, baking powder, and next 6 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk; cut in shortening and butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese and parsley. Add buttermilk; stir just until moist.
Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 2 inches apart onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
While biscuits bake, combine melted butter and garlic powder in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
Remove biscuits from baking sheet to a wire rack; brush with garlic butter. Cool slightly.