Cheddar-and-Corn Spoon Bread
Photo: Ryan Benyi; Styling: Andrea Steinberg
Yield: Serves: 8
Cost per Serving: $.61
More From Allyou
Bake: 40 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 254
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Protein: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
- Sodium: 528mg
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup buttermilk (shake before measuring)
- 3/4 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup coarsely grated Cheddar
- 1. Position a rack in middle of oven and preheat to 375°F. Butter a 2-quart soufflé dish.
- 2. Place cornmeal in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk baking powder, cayenne and salt. Bring milk just to a simmer; whisk into cornmeal until smooth. Whisk in buttermilk, corn, butter, egg yolks, parsley and baking powder mixture.
- 3. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat egg whites just until they hold stiff peaks. Gently fold egg whites and 1/2 cup Cheddar into cornmeal mixture. Transfer to soufflé dish and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar.
- 4. Bake until top is golden brown and spoon bread is set around edges but still slightly jiggly in center, 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note