In all fairness I could not give this five stars because I substituted Jarlsberg cheese for the cheddar so therefore am not reviewing as written. That said, every other part of it was outstanding and the shallots are such a different taste than onions! My husband is particular about his burgers and said it was "the best burger of the summer". :) We did add a sliced tomato as one other reviewer recommended. We will make this again with friends over.
Cheddar Cheeseburgers with Caramelized Shallots
Photo: Johnny Autry; Food Styling: Charlotte Autry
More From Cooking Light
Total: 38 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 370
- Fat: 17.7g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Protein: 31.1g
- Carbohydrate: 31.7g
- Fiber: 8.1g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 654mg
- Calcium: 113mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground beef, 90% lean
- 2 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns, toasted
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Add shallots and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- 2. Gently combine garlic and beef. Divide the meat mixture into 4 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Press a nickel-sized indentation in the center of each patty. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 3. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add patties, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Top each patty with 2 tablespoons cheese; cover and cook 1 minute or until cheese melts.
- 4. Place 1/4 cup arugula on bottom half of each bun; top with 1 patty and one-fourth of shallots. Spread about 2 teaspoons mayonnaise on top half of each bun; place on top of burgers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note