FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY. That's the key, plus having ingredients at room temperature. I like them made with a good dash of Tabasco sauce, but no other liquids needed.
Cheddar Cheese Straws
More From Southern Living
Bake (Per Batch): 12 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 (1-pound) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Beat first 5 ingredients at medium speed with a heavy-duty stand mixer until blended. Gradually add flour, beating just until combined.
- Use a cookie press with a star-shaped disk to shape mixture into long ribbons, following manufacturer's instructions, on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Cut ribbons into 2-inch pieces.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Cheese Wafers: Combine ingredients as directed; chill dough 2 hours. Shape dough into 4 (8-inch-long) logs; wrap each in plastic wrap, and chill 8 hours. Cut each log into 1/4-inch-thick slices; place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 13 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container 1 week.
If you don't have a heavy-duty stand mixer, you can use a handheld mixer. Just divide the ingredients in half, and work with two batches.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note