- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 extra-large chicken bouillon cube
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
How to Make It
Melt butter in a 3-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat; add carrots and next 4 ingredients, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle flour over vegetable mixture, and stir until coated. Stir in bouillon cube, milk, and 3 cups water; cook, stirring occasionally, 10 to 11 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly.
Add shredded cheese and red pepper, stirring until well blended. Serve immediately.
The Sandwich: Layer guacamole, tomato slices sprinkled with salt and pepper, bacon slices, and arugula between whole grain bread slices.