I am totally amazed that no one has reviewed this recipe. Over the years, I have made all versions of this recipe. The sauce is easy to prepare, delicious and versatile. The sauce does not break and is creamy deliciousness. Think asiago cheese sauce with pasta and roasted veggies or cheddar cheese sauce with broccoli. Let your mind wander, cheese lovers. I would be surprised if you were disappointed.
Cheddar Cheese Sauce
This recipe goes with Creamy Two-Cheese Potatoes Gratin
Yield: 2 cups (serving size: 1/2 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 222
- Calories from fat: 53%
- Fat: 13.1g
- Saturated fat: 8.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 13.6g
- Carbohydrate: 12.2g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 42mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 281mg
- Calcium: 407mg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a medium, heavy saucepan; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Place over medium heat; cook until thick (about 8 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Swiss Cheese Sauce: Substitute 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese for the shredded cheddar cheese. Then proceed with the recipe.
- CALORIES 186 (44% from fat); FAT 9.1g (sat 5.9g, mono 2.4g, poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 12.9g; CARB 12.7g; FIBER 0.2g; CHOL 31mg; IRON 0.5mg; SODIUM 135mg; CALC 424mg
- Gruyère Cheese Sauce: Substitute 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese and 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) finely grated fresh Parmesan for the shredded cheddar cheese. Then proceed with the recipe.
- CALORIES 209 (47% from fat); FAT 11g (sat 6.6g, mono 3.3g, poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 14.9g; CARB 12.2g; FIBER 0.2g; CHOL 35mg; IRON 0.5mg; SODIUM 303mg; CALC 492mg
- Asiago Cheese Sauce: Substitute 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Asiago cheese for the shredded cheddar cheese. Then proceed with the recipe.
- CALORIES 191 (41% from fat); FAT 8.7g (sat 5.5g, mono 2.5g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 14.9g; CARB 12.7g; FIBER 0.2g; CHOL 24mg; IRON 0.7mg; SODIUM 515mg; CALC 487mg
- Smoked Gouda Cheese Sauce: Substitute 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda cheese for the shredded cheddar cheese. Then proceed with the recipe.
- CALORIES 155 (42% from fat); FAT 7.2g (sat 4.6g, mono 2g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 10.1g; CARB 12.3g; FIBER 0.2g; CHOL 29mg; IRON 0.5mg; SODIUM 235mg; CALC 300mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This