I revised slightly to make this on the stove top - I added a spoon of sour cream (to a 1/3-sized recipe) while the grits were cooking, then simply stirred in the cheddar cheese, S&P, parm, and also a torn up slice of white American cheese. Let sit for a minute or two to set up a little bit. When I tasted them they were "happy dance" good!
Cheddar Cheese Grits Casserole
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Rose Nguyen
More From Southern Living
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bring milk just to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; gradually whisk in butter and grits. Reduce heat, and simmer, whisking constantly, 5 to 7 minutes or until grits are done. Remove from heat.
- 2. Stir in egg and next 3 ingredients. Pour into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- 3. Bake, covered, at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until mixture is set. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note