Relatively simple to make, yet very tasty and versatile. This sauce works nicely with the broccoli casserole it was first published with, but also with other steamed vegetables such as cauliflower. Definitely worth a try for a special touch.
Cheddar Cheese Cream Sauce
More From Southern Living
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk, salt, and red pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Boil, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese until melted and blended.
- Beat eggs with a fork until thick and pale. Gradually stir about one-fourth hot milk mixture into eggs; add egg mixture to remaining hot milk mixture, stirring constantly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments