Great, easy recipe. I did the burgers on my Traeger grill which aded a smoky flavor. When making the burgers put a thumb shaped dimple in the middle of the burger pattys before cooking them - this keeps the burger juicy.
Cheddar Burgers with Red Onion Jam
A quick five-ingredient sauce tops cheesy homemade burgers to make an easy, delicious dinner in no time. Serve with baked chips and blue cheese dip.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 395
- Fat: 13.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 33.8g
- Carbohydrate: 36.1g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 696mg
- Calcium: 190mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups vertically sliced red onion
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound extra-lean ground round
- Cooking spray
- 4 (1/2-ounce) slices white cheddar cheese
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 teaspoons canola mayonnaise
- 1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. To prepare jam, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in sugar, vinegar, and thyme. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until onion is very tender. Remove from heat.
- 3. To prepare burgers, combine oregano, salt, garlic powder, and beef. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cook 2 minutes. Turn patties over. Place 1 cheese slice on each patty; cook 2 minutes or until done.
- 4. Spread cut sides of each bun with 1/2 teaspoon mayonnaise. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun; top each with 1/4 cup onion jam and bun top.
- Baked chips and blue cheese dip: Combine 1/2 cup (2 ounces) low-fat crumbled blue cheese, 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream, 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise, and 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar in a bowl. Mash with a fork.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note