This is a GREAT recipe that can be easily varied to meet what you have on hand. I used zucchini instead of one of the peppers and green instead of red pepper. I didn't grill the cherry tomatoes, just cut them in half. The dressing is just enough to really make this delicious without overwhelming it. You really want to use the salt and pepper liberally.
Charred Vegetable Salad
Although you can successfully prepare this colorful end-of-summer salad on a gas grill, charcoal will imbue the vegetables with extra flavor. You can easily substitute white wine vinegar for the champagne vinegar without compromising the flavor of the dish.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 99
- Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 11.7g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 258mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- 2 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, cut into (1/2-inch-thick) slices (about 2 medium)
- 1 sweet onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ounce oil-cured olives (about 12), pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup fresh small basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Combine first 4 ingredients, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place bell peppers, skin sides down, and onion on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes. Turn onion; add eggplant to grill. Remove bell peppers. Place bell peppers in a zip-top bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Grill eggplant and onion 5 minutes; remove onion. Turn eggplant; grill 5 minutes. Remove eggplant. Add tomatoes to a grill basket; grill 5 minutes. Remove bell peppers from bag. Peel and discard skins; slice lengthwise.
- 3. Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, vinegar, and sugar. Slowly add 2 tablespoons oil, stirring with a whisk. Combine vegetables, dressing, garlic, and olives. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, basil, and chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note