Notes: Instructor-chef John Vollertsen of the Vista Clara Ranch Resort & Spa in Galisteo, New Mexico, created this mildly sweet and tangy dressing to add a bit of zip to greens. You can make it up to 3 days ahead; cover and chill.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 22
- Calories from fat: 73%
- Protein: 0.2g
- Fat: 1.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 1.5g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 38mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 4 Roma tomatoes (12 oz. total)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 fresh basil leaves (each 2 in. long), rinsed, or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. Rinse and core tomatoes; cut in half lengthwise. Set halves, cut side up, in a 9-inch cake pan. Brush cut sides with a total of 2 teaspoons oil. Sprinkle evenly with granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bake in a 400° regular or convection oven until tomatoes are browned, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool.
- 2. In a blender, whirl tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, remaining 4 teaspoons olive oil, brown sugar, and basil until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note