This is a great way to enjoy okra without frying it. We put the okra in a basket and set that directly on the gas grill grates for better charring. The whole family loved this recipe- will make it again soon.
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Stylist: Caroline M. Cunningham
Garam masala lends Indian flavor to Charred Okra. Charred Okra is a great way to enjoy okra without frying it.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 3 limes
- 2 pounds medium-size fresh okra
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Grate zest from 2 limes to equal 2 1/2 Tbsp.; squeeze juice from same 2 limes to equal 5 Tbsp. Cut remaining lime into 8 wedges.
- 2. Toss together okra, next 5 ingredients, lime zest, and lime juice in a bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- 3. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Remove okra from marinade, discarding marinade. Grill okra, without grill lid, 10 to 15 minutes or just until tender and lightly charred, turning often. Sprinkle with cilantro; serve with lime wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note