Charmoula Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
Sisters Meave and Faye McAuliffe run Bread & Water, a Venice Beach catering company. The chicken gets a flavor boost from charmoula, a versatile marinade. "I make extra to use as a dip," says Meave.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 691
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Protein: 36g
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrate: 67g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Sodium: 1149mg
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 boned, skinned chicken thighs (about 1 lb. total)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 4 ciabatta rolls (each 4 oz.), split
- 2 cups arugula
- 1. Mix oil, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. salt, the spices, garlic, and cilantro together in a medium bowl. Set aside 1/4 cup of the marinade. Add chicken to bowl, turning to coat evenly. Let chicken marinate, chilled, at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- 2. Blend mayonnaise, red peppers, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt in a food processor until smooth, about 1 minute. Chill until ready to use.
- 3. Prepare grill for high heat (450° to 550°). Brush bottom halves of each roll with 1 tbsp. of reserved marinade mixture. Cook chicken, turning once, until grill marks appear and meat is cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes. Grill rolls cut side down until warmed and grill marks appear, about 2 minutes. Let both cool.
- 4. To assemble: Set 1 chicken thigh onto bottom half of 1 roll. Spread 2 tbsp. mayo onto cut side of top half. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup arugula and set top of roll on chicken.
- Make ahead: Wrap well in plastic wrap and chill overnight. Or make through step 3, then assemble at the last minute.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note