I grew up eating this cake, but we called it Texas Sheet Cake. The cake is delicious, but OH, the icing--the icing is absolutely delectable! It tastes like fudge. My sister and I and later my four children would argue over who got to eat the last drop from the pan. Deceptively simple cake, and always well received.
Charlotte's Cocoa Cake
Carol Worthington-Levy's mother-in-law, Charlotte Levy, gave her this recipe, which has all the flavor of rich hot chocolate. Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour.
Yield: Makes 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 457
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Protein: 4.6g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 73g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 482mg
- Cholesterol: 78mg
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon each salt, baking soda, and cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9- by 13-inch baking pan; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream together granulated sugar and 3/4 cup butter. Add eggs, buttermilk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla and beat until well blended.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk 1/4 cup cocoa in 1 cup boiling water. Add to sugar mixture and beat to blend. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add to sugar-cocoa mixture and beat on low speed to combine thoroughly.
- 4. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 5. In a 2-quart pan over high heat, whisk together remaining 1/4 cup cocoa and the milk and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add remaining 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces, and stir until melted. Whisk in powdered sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix until smooth. Stir in pecans (if using). Pour mixture over the still-warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts