Delicious, easy and healthy
Chard and White Bean Soup
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 196
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Protein: 17g
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Sodium: 526mg
- Cholesterol: 6.4mg
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (about 1 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 quart fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- About 1/2 cup fresh-grated parmesan cheese (see notes)
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
- 1. Rinse chard well and trim off and discard discolored stem ends; tear leaves from stems. Thinly slice stems crosswise; cut leaves into 1-inch pieces.
- 2. Pour oil into a 4- to 5-quart pan over medium heat. Add chard stems and garlic; stir often until stems are limp, about 10 minutes. Add chard leaves, broth, and 3 cups water (see notes). Bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until chard is tender to bite, 10 minutes longer.
- 3. Add beans and stir occasionally until hot, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls; offer more parmesan to add at the table.
If you're using imported parmesan, such as Parmigiano-Reggiano, add a piece of the rind to the soup in step 2 for extra flavor.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note