- 1 bunch Swiss chard (about 1 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 quart fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- About 1/2 cup fresh-grated parmesan cheese (see notes)
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
- calories 196
- caloriesfromfat 26 %
- protein 17 g
- fat 5.6 g
- satfat 1.9 g
- carbohydrate 19 g
- fiber 6.8 g
- sodium 526 mg
- cholesterol 6.4 mg
How to Make It
Rinse chard well and trim off and discard discolored stem ends; tear leaves from stems. Thinly slice stems crosswise; cut leaves into 1-inch pieces.
Pour oil into a 4- to 5-quart pan over medium heat. Add chard stems and garlic; stir often until stems are limp, about 10 minutes. Add chard leaves, broth, and 3 cups water (see notes). Bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until chard is tender to bite, 10 minutes longer.
Add beans and stir occasionally until hot, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls; offer more parmesan to add at the table.
If you're using imported parmesan, such as Parmigiano-Reggiano, add a piece of the rind to the soup in step 2 for extra flavor.