Chard and Ricotta Torta
Notes: You can cook the chard (steps 2 and 3) up to 1 day ahead; cover and chill. Frozen bread dough is ususllly sold in packages containing two or three 1-pound portions. To thaw, remove one portion, place on a lightly floured surface, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature for abot 45 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 314
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Sodium: 820mg
- Cholesterol: 73mg
- 1 pound frozen bread dough thawed (see notes)
- 3 pounds red or green chard (about 3 bunches)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted calamata olives
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cut off a third of the bread dough. With lightly floured hands, flatten both portions into disks. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand while preparing filling, about 30 minutes.
- 2. Rinse chard and tear leaves form center ribs; discard center ribs and stems or save for another use.
- 3. Pour oil into a 12-inch frying pan or a 14-inch wok over medium-high heat; when hot, add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute, Add chard and stir frequently until evenly wilted, 12 to 15minutes. Transfer mixture to a strainer and let drain until cool enough to handle. Squeeze chard to remove all liquid, then corasely chop.
- 4. In a bowl, mix chard, 1 egg, ricotta, 1/4 cup cream, olives, lemon peel, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- 5. With a lightl floured rolling pin, on a lightly floured surface, roll the larger portion of dough into a 12-inch round about 1/4 inch thick. Brush off excess flour. Fit into a 10-inch cheesecake pan wit removable rime and fold excess dough down so that edges come about halfway up sides of pan; press dough gently against sides of pan. Add chard mixture and spread level. Roll remaining dough into a 10-inch round. Center over filling and pinch with the sides to seal. In a small bowl, beat remaining egg with remaining 2 tablespoons cream to blend. Brush top crust with egg mixture; discard remainder.
- 6. Bake in a 375º regular or convection oven until top is richly browned, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes, then run a small sharp knife between tart and pan rim to loosen; remove rim. Use a serrated knife to slice into wedges. Serve warm or cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note