- 1 pound cipollini onions, peeled and halved, leaving root end intact
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons brut Champagne
- Fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish
- calories 97
- fat 1 g
- satfat 1 g
- monofat 0.0 g
- polyfat 0.0 g
- protein 1 g
- carbohydrate 9 g
- fiber 1 g
- cholesterol 3 mg
- iron 0.0 mg
- sodium 50 mg
- calcium 19 mg
How to Make It
Arrange onions in even layer in 10-inch skillet. Stir in sugar and next 4 ingredients (through 2 cups Champagne); bring to boil over high heat. Let mixture reduce 7–8 minutes or until almost all liquid has evaporated.
Reduce heat to medium-low; continue cooking, stirring frequently for 7–8 minutes or until onions are tender and golden.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons Champagne to pan; scrape browned bits at bottom with spatula. Remove thyme sprig, and transfer onions to serving bowl. Garnish with additional thyme, if desired.