Excellent flavor! But I do agree with another reviewer in that carrots were undercooked....even though I cooked them for the full hour
Champagne-Browned Butter Chicken
This intensely-flavored chicken dish features chicken that's browned in bacon drippings and baked in a Dutch oven along with carrots, potatoes and herbs. Then the chicken and vegetables are topped with a rich butter-Champagne sauce for a hearty dish that's perfect for entertaining.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
- Calories: 464
- Fat: 16.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Protein: 35.9g
- Carbohydrate: 39.2g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 123mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 658mg
- Calcium: 40mg
- 2 slices center-cut bacon
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 6 bone-in chicken drumsticks, skinned (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound red-skinned potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound button mushrooms, halved
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 4 shallots, halved
- 3/4 cup no-salt-added chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 12 baby carrots with tops
- 1 cup Champagne
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1. Preheat oven to 300°.
- 2. Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp; remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan. Reserve bacon for another use. Place 2/3 cup flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dredge chicken lightly in flour; shake off excess flour. Increase heat to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon oil to drippings in pan; swirl to coat. Add half of chicken to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over; cook 2 minutes. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and chicken.
- 3. Add potatoes to pan; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in brandy. Cook until liquid almost evaporates (about 30 seconds), stirring occasionally. Return chicken to pan. Add shallots and stock; bring to a boil. Place peppercorns and next 3 ingredients (through parsley) on a double layer of cheesecloth. Gather edges; tie with butcher's twine. Add bundle to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 300° for 15 minutes.
- 4. Trim carrot tops to 1-inch; scrub carrots. Add the carrots to pan. Bake an additional 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is done. Remove chicken and vegetables from pan; keep warm. Discard herb bundle. Place pan over medium-high heat. Add wine to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook until mixture reduces to 2/3 cup (about 11 minutes).
- 5. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook butter 3 minutes or until lightly browned, shaking pan occasionally. Stir in 1 teaspoon flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add butter mixture to reduced wine mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook 1 minute or until slightly thick. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Serve with chicken and vegetables. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and thyme.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This