I halved the recipe for the first attempt; it worked perfectly. Also used a pork tip (boneless) still had lots of flavor. As the description suggests would work as a perfect based for many dishes. Super easy and everyone in the family enjoyed which means this is definitely something I would make again!
Chalupa Dinner Bowl
This pork-and-bean mixture is versatile. Serve it spooned over cornbread or rolled up burrito style in flour tortillas. Make hearty nachos, quesadillas, or tacos too. It can even be used as a meaty addition to huevos rancheros (fried corn tortillas topped with fried eggs and salsa).
More From Southern Living
Bake: 5 Minutes
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) bone-in pork loin roast
- 2 (4-ounce) cans chopped green chiles
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (32-ounce) box chicken broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles with lime juice and cilantro
- 8 taco salad shells
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Toppings: shredded Monterey Jack cheese, pickled jalapeño slices, halved grape tomatoes, sour cream, chopped avocado
- Rinse and sort beans according to package directions.
- Place pinto beans in a 6-quart slow cooker; add roast and next 6 ingredients. Pour chicken broth evenly over top of roast.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 1 hour; reduce to LOW, and cook 9 hours. Or, cover and cook on HIGH 6 hours. Remove bones and fat from roast; pull roast into large pieces with two forks. Stir in diced tomatoes and green chiles. Cook, uncovered, on HIGH 1 more hour or until liquid is slightly thickened.
- Heat taco salad shells according to package directions; place shredded lettuce evenly into shells. Spoon about 1 cup pork-and-bean mixture into each shell using a slotted spoon. Serve with desired toppings.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used RO*TEL Mexican Festival tomatoes and a Rival Recipe Smart-Pot slow cooker. Times may vary depending on the slow cooker used.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note