1. Proof the yeast in 2 cup of warm water plus 2 TBSP of sugar until yeast is billowy (about ten minutes). Add raisins
2. Sift together 8 cups of flour plus 1 cup sugar; salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and tumeric.
3. Whisk together vanilla, 4 eggs, oil, and remaining 1 cup of water.
4. Mix together yeast and egg mixtures.
5. Add flour and spices to wet ingredients; mix well.
6. Add remaining flour two cups at a time total flour used (including the four cups in step 4) will be between 10 and 14 cups of flour until dough is soft, a bit tacky, but not sticky.
7. Knead for about 15 minutes.
8. Let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
9. Can make four four strand challahs or 32 dinner rolls or a combination
10. Let rise for about 20 minutes.
11. Take remaining 2 eggs, whisk, and use as egg wash on challahs; sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired
12. Bake at 325 F for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
Go to full version of