Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 teaspoon(s) Cinnamon
- 0 1/2 teaspoon(s) Tumeric
- 1 tablespoon(s) Vanilla
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) yeast
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 0 1/2 teaspoon(s) Nutmeg
- 4 ounce(s) oil
- 2 cup(s) raisins
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 3 cup(s) water
- 6 eggs
- Sesame Seeds
- 1. Proof the yeast in 2 cup of warm water plus 2 TBSP of sugar until yeast is billowy (about ten minutes). Add raisins
- 2. Sift together 8 cups of flour plus 1 cup sugar; salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and tumeric.
- 3. Whisk together vanilla, 4 eggs, oil, and remaining 1 cup of water.
- 4. Mix together yeast and egg mixtures.
- 5. Add flour and spices to wet ingredients; mix well.
- 6. Add remaining flour two cups at a time total flour used (including the four cups in step 4) will be between 10 and 14 cups of flour until dough is soft, a bit tacky, but not sticky.
- 7. Knead for about 15 minutes.
- 8. Let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 9. Can make four four strand challahs or 32 dinner rolls or a combination
- 10. Let rise for about 20 minutes.
- 11. Take remaining 2 eggs, whisk, and use as egg wash on challahs; sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired
- 12. Bake at 325 F for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by davesnyd and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Challah Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breads
- CUISINE: Jewish