- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup frozen non-dairy creamer, thawed
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water, stirring well. Let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Cream 1/2 cup margarine in a large mixing bowl; gradually add remaining sugar and salt, beating well. Scald non-dairy creamer; let cool to 105° to 115°. Add non-dairy creamer, yeast mixture, eggs, and 1 yolk, stirring well. Gradually add 2 cups flour, beating well. Stir in remaining 1 1/4 cups flour (dough will be sticky).
- Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Stir dough down. Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 4 hours.
- Punch dough down; let rest 5 minutes. Divide dough in half. Divide one half into 3 equal portions; set aside remaining half. Shape each portion into a 10- inch rope. Braid ropes, pinching ends to seal. Place braided loaf in a greased 8-inch loaf pan. Repeat procedure with remaining half of dough. Cover and repeat rising procedure 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Combine remaining yolk and 2 tablespoons water; beat well. Gently brush over tops of loaves. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove bread from pans immediately, and cool on wire racks. Slice and serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads