- 4 teaspoons loose-leaf black tea, such as Assam
- 1 or 2 cinnamon sticks (each about 2 1/2 in. long)
- 1 or 2 black (also called brown) cardamom* pods, crushed with a rolling pin or mallet
- 2 to 4 green cardamom pods, crushed with a rolling pin or mallet
- 1 or 2 quarter-size slices fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup whole or low-fat milk
- calories 49
- caloriesfromfat 31 %
- protein 1.7 g
- fat 1.7 g
- satfat 0.9 g
- carbohydrate 7.2 g
- fiber 0.5 g
- sodium 21 mg
- cholesterol 4.9 mg
How to Make It
Pour 2 cups water into a medium saucepan and add tea and spices. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil 2 minutes.
Add sugar and milk and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and boil gently 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain and pour into small cups or heatproof glasses.
*Find black cardamom in the spice aisle of well-stocked supermarkets, at Indian markets, and at worldspice.com.