Celery Soup with Apples and Blue Cheese
Photo: Jennifer Martine; Styling: Karen Shinto
The simple addition of caramelized apples and salty blue cheese gives this tasty soup a sophisticated feel.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 204
- Calories from fat: 57%
- Protein: 9g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 7.7g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 515mg
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- 1 head (1 1/2 lbs.) celery, stalks separated
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 qt. reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1. Cut celery into 1-in. chunks. In a large pot, boil celery and onion with broth, covered, until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small frying pan over medium heat. Cook apple, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- 3. Working in batches, ladle celery mixture into a blender and whirl until very smooth, about 2 minutes per batch. Stir in half-and-half and season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with parsley, reserved apple, and cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This