- 1 head (1 1/2 lbs.) celery, stalks separated
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 qt. reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- calories 204
- caloriesfromfat 57 %
- protein 9 g
- fat 13 g
- satfat 7.7 g
- carbohydrate 14 g
- fiber 2.8 g
- sodium 515 mg
- cholesterol 37 mg
How to Make It
Cut celery into 1-in. chunks. In a large pot, boil celery and onion with broth, covered, until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a small frying pan over medium heat. Cook apple, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Working in batches, ladle celery mixture into a blender and whirl until very smooth, about 2 minutes per batch. Stir in half-and-half and season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with parsley, reserved apple, and cheese.