Fantastic! We substituted cubed beef tenderloin for the meat and added a splash of pinot noir to the meat while it was cooking. Also, we omitted the butter and never missed it.
Celery Root Shepherd's Pie
More From Health
- Calories: 313
- Fat: 15.1g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 597mg
- Calcium: 199mg
- Mashed Roots
- 3 medium russet potatoes, (about 2 lbs), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium celery root (about 2 lbs), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for salting the water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Beef and Mushroom Stew
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Gruyère or Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Begin mashed vegetables: Place cut potatoes and celery root in large pot; add cold water till covered. Bring to boil, salt generously, cover and simmer until potatoes are easily pierced with fork (10-12 minutes). Drain well; return to pot off the heat to dry.
- 2. Begin the stew: Heat 1 TBSP oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, and thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are golden and soft (about 8 minutes). Remove and spread along bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish. Heat 1 TBSP oil in the same skillet; add the beef or lamb, carrot, rosemary, and nutmeg; cook until beef is brown and carrot is tender (about 8 minutes). Stir in tomato paste. Layer over mushroom-onion mixture.
- 3. Finish the mashed veggies: Pass potatoes and celery root through a food mill into a bowl, adding butter as you go. Stir in yogurt and milk for a purée. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4. Swirl mashed potatoes and celery root over stew with back of a spoon; sprinkle on cheese. Bake until cooked through and cheese is golden brown (15 minutes). Serve warm.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note