Fantastic! We substituted cubed beef tenderloin for the meat and added a splash of pinot noir to the meat while it was cooking. Also, we omitted the butter and never missed it.
Celery Root Shepherd's Pie
Come home to this savory Shepherd's Pie and serve your family the ultimate comfort food dish.
More From Health
- Calories: 313
- Fat: 15.1g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 597mg
- Calcium: 199mg
- Mashed Roots
- 3 medium russet potatoes, (about 2 lbs), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium celery root (about 2 lbs), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for salting the water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Beef and Mushroom Stew
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Gruyère or Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Begin mashed vegetables: Place cut potatoes and celery root in large pot; add cold water till covered. Bring to boil, salt generously, cover and simmer until potatoes are easily pierced with fork (10-12 minutes). Drain well; return to pot off the heat to dry.
- 2. Begin the stew: Heat 1 TBSP oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, and thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are golden and soft (about 8 minutes). Remove and spread along bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish. Heat 1 TBSP oil in the same skillet; add the beef or lamb, carrot, rosemary, and nutmeg; cook until beef is brown and carrot is tender (about 8 minutes). Stir in tomato paste. Layer over mushroom-onion mixture.
- 3. Finish the mashed veggies: Pass potatoes and celery root through a food mill into a bowl, adding butter as you go. Stir in yogurt and milk for a purée. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4. Swirl mashed potatoes and celery root over stew with back of a spoon; sprinkle on cheese. Bake until cooked through and cheese is golden brown (15 minutes). Serve warm.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note