- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks with 3 inches of green, split lengthwise and thickly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 ounce caviar (about 2 tablespoons), preferably osetra
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
Melt the butter in a medium sauce-pan. Add the leeks and cook over low heat, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 7 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 4 minutes.
Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the sour cream and then the caviar. Season with the lemon juice and salt and pepper.
Make Ahead: The recipe can be prepared though Step 1 up to 6 hours in advance and kept at room temperature. Rewarm before finishing.
Serve With: Pan-fried or poached halibut steaks, mahimahi or tilefish fillets; pan-roasted chicken breasts; baked potatoes; fresh pasta; steamed asparagus or artichokes