Cauliflower With Southwest Cheese Sauce
More From Southern Living
Bake: 55 Minutes
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2 lb.)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
- 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Pinch of paprika
- Salt to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Trim bottom leaves from cauliflower. Remove core, leaving head intact. Place cauliflower on a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Loosely fold sides of foil up and over cauliflower; crimp sides of foil together to seal, leaving top of foil open. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. water over cauliflower. Crimp top of foil together to seal. (Foil should be loose, allowing cauliflower to steam.) Place foil-covered cauliflower in a roasting pan.
- 2. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; gradually whisk in flour until a paste forms, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Whisk in evaporated milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened and smooth. Whisk in cheese until melted. Whisk in tomatoes, 1/2 tsp. salt, and pepper.
- 4. Remove cauliflower from oven and fold foil halfway down sides of cauliflower. Top cauliflower with cheese sauce, and sprinkle with paprika and salt to taste.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables