Cauliflower "steaks" over black lentils w/ grilled artichoke hearts
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 head(s) large cauliflower
- 1 can(s) artichoke hearts (quartered) drained
- 1/2 cup(s) black lentils
- 2 cup(s) broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
- 4 tablespoon(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) curry powder
- 1/4 cup(s) bechamel sauce
- Rinse the lentils and add them to the curry-infused broth. Bring to a boil then drop the heat and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed and the lentils are soft but not mushy. The package may say it only takes 20 minutes, but it's probably 45 minutes to an hour. (You can use whatever curry powder you like, or simply substitute ground cumin and cayenne pepper. The curry will give you an Indian feel, the chili powder is more tex-mex).
- Meanwhile, start your outdoor grill to get it hot.
- Cut 4 thick cauliflower "steaks" and coat them in a high quality olive oil. They should be coated, not dripping. Brush it on if you have to. I prefer Trader Joe's Spanish Olive Oil for this as it's flavorful, inexpensive, and fairly viscous.
- Put the cauliflower "steaks" on the grill and use the remaining oil to coat the artichoke hearts.
- After 5 to 10 minutes check the "steaks". If they have browned grill marks on them, flip them and do the other side. They should be cooked until they're soft and a bit flexible to get the sweetest, "meatiest" flavor.
- When the "steaks" are done, remove them and add a wood chip or two to the grill to create smoke, and place the artichoke hearts on. You'll need to use a piece of tin-foil or a special tray so that they don't stick. Give them 5 to 10 minutes or so and if they're browned flip them. At this point you can probably turn off the heat if it's a gas grill and just let them sit, soaking in the smoke.
- Prepare a small amount of bechamel sauce. Bring in the artichoke hearts (be sure not to leave them on the grill for too long or they'll dry out).
- Plate the dish by putting a good dollop of the lentils to one side, topped by the cauliflower "steak" slightly to one side, and some of the artichoke hearts on the remaining third of the plate. Drizzle/spread the bechamel across each of the components, but mainly across the cauliflower. Microwave shortly if needed.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by NeroFiddled and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cauliflower "steaks" over black lentils w/ grilled artichoke hearts Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes