I made this as substitute for my usual lunchtime salad. I definitely knew that this would need salt! I also added more shallots, red pepper flakes and some other dried herbs or Italian seasoning will do. That seemed to do the trick!
Cauliflower and Red-Pepper Chowder
This tastes better after it's chilled for a few hours and the flavors have had a chance to meld. Leaving a portion of the soup chunky gives the finished product a hearty consistency. Serve with baguettes or breadsticks.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 168
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 8.6g
- Carbohydrate: 24.8g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 809mg
- Calcium: 130mg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2/3 cup minced shallots (about 4 large)
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 cups finely chopped cauliflower florets (about 1 head)
- 2 cups finely chopped red bell pepper (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled red potato
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 5 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallots and celery; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Add cauliflower, bell pepper, potato, and bay leaf; return to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in milk and black pepper. Cool slightly; discard bay leaf.
- Place 1 1/2 cups soup in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Pour the pureed soup into a large bowl. Repeat the procedure with an additional 1 1/2 cups soup. Add the remaining soup to the pureed soup, and stir in basil. Return the soup to the pan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Spoon 2 cups soup into each of 5 bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note