This was very good. I agree with previous testers that it was a little bland. Next time around, I would definitely add some more dijon and some hot sauce for zip. I steamed my califlower instead of boiling it, just to avoid some loss of nutrients. The texture was great and my 16-month-old loved it!
Cauliflower, Pasta, and Cheese Gratin
Get your comfort food fix with this creamy cauliflower, pasta and cheese gratin. Add hot sauce for a little more zip and enjoy with a green salad for a satisfying family-style dinner.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 375
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 21.2g
- Carbohydrate: 49.6g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 788mg
- Calcium: 476mg
- 8 cups water
- 6 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 ounces uncooked small seashell pasta
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan; add cauliflower and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling water, and cook 4 minutes or until tender. Remove cauliflower with a slotted spoon, reserving cooking liquid; set cauliflower aside. Bring cooking liquid to a rolling boil. Add pasta, and cook 7 minutes or until al dente; drain and set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine flour and milk in a saucepan, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in thyme and garlic; cook over medium heat until thick (about 8 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, cheeses, onions, mustard, and pepper. Combine cauliflower, pasta, and cheese sauce in a large bowl. Spoon the cauliflower mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Place bread in food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form to measure 1 cup. Combine breadcrumbs with butter; sprinkle evenly over cauliflower mixture. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles