Cauliflower Galettes with Chipotle Crème Fraîche
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- 1 medium-size head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1 cup plain yellow or white cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (6-oz.) container fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup freshly grated Cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced and divided
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1. Preheat broiler with oven rack 8 inches from heat. Place cauliflower in a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with black pepper and 1/4 tsp. sea salt; toss to coat.
- 2. Broil cauliflower 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring halfway through. Remove from oven; cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes.
- 3. Whisk together cornmeal, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1 tsp. sea salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together eggs, yogurt, and 1 cup water; whisk into dry ingredients. Fold in cheese and half of onions. Fold in cooled cauliflower.
- 4. Drop half of batter by spoonfuls (about 2 Tbsp.) into 2 Tbsp. hot vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat (do not crowd pan), and fry 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter and oil. Sprinkle with remaining green onions.
- 5. Stir together chipotle peppers and crème fraîche; serve with galettes.
- Brought to the table by cookbook author Ellise Pierce (adapted from Cowgirl Chef cookbook).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables