I'm so happy to have a new way to prepare cauliflower! And it is so flavorful, and the fritters were surprisingly light in texture -- they seemed to melt in our mouths. I think the salt is essential to keeping it from getting bland. I used a cast iron skillet for frying and I think it gave the crust extra flavor. This was really great with sour cream flavored with chipotle hot sauce.
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 107
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Protein: 6.8g
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 7.2g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Sodium: 775mg
- Cholesterol: 159mg
- 1 cauliflower (about 2 lb.), washed and broken into florets (about 1 1/2 in. each)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- About 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
- Sour cream, salsa, or chutney (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 200°. Pour about 4 quarts of water into a 6- to 8-quart pan; bring to a boil over high heat. Add cauliflower and 1 tablespoon salt; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until cauliflower is soft enough to mash, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Put cauliflower in a large bowl, and mash with a fork. Let cool until no longer steaming. Stir in eggs, garlic, and hot sauce, then mix in flour, baking powder, paprika, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 3. Pour 1 teaspoon olive oil into an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, drop cauliflower mixture in heaping tablespoons into pan and cook, turning once, until fritters are golden brown on both sides, about 6 to 8 minutes per batch. Transfer to baking sheet and keep warm in oven while cooking the remaining fritters. Add more oil as needed between batches. Garnish with chopped parsley and sour cream, salsa, or chutney as desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables