- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets (about 2 pounds)
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored, trimmed, and cut into 1/4-inch slices plus 1/2 cup chopped fronds
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère, Comté, or Swiss cheese
- 2/3 cup coarse fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450º. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add cauliflower, and sauté 4 minutes. Add fennel slices, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with flour, salt, and nutmeg; add fennel fronds, and lightly toss together.
Spoon into a 2-quart gratin or baking dish. Pour cream over mixture. Sprinkle with remaining ingredients.
Bake at 450º for 20 minutes or until top is browned and crispy.